The Church and Society Committee is pleased to offer this opportunity to join the Woman 2 Woman program at the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility. What is this about? Look at this summary from the program director:
Launched by Bedford Presbyterian Church in the fall of 2013, Woman 2 Woman is a prison ministry program that connects women in our community with women incarcerated at Bedford Hills and Taconic. These women are our neighbors, yet many of them have little to no outside contact. Our visiting program is designed to provide much-needed emotional support, encouragement and friendship. Our goal is also to stretch our own capacity for empathy and understanding by developing a relationship of mutual respect and caring with someone whose history and circumstances is typically very different from our own. W2W is not a faith-based program. This year marks the 10th anniversary of Woman 2 Woman.
What You Can Do:
* Attend a 2-hour training session on Wednesday, February 8th at 7 p.m. via Zoom to discuss the program guidelines and to ask questions. Contact the church office for additional details.
* If you choose to become a visitor, you will be given the name and Department Identification Number (DIN#) of a woman inside.
* Commit to visiting her at least once a month.
* Determine whether you would like an experienced visitor to accompany you on your first visit.
* Attend visitor support groups, which are held three times a year. They provide a forum for sharing both the joys and frustrations of prison visiting and for discussing any questions or concerns you may have.
Contact the church office for additional details.